Thursday, August 14, 2008

Week One : Getting Aquainted

My new family:



Sissy arrived later that day :



From day one I realized that this was going to be a very interesting experience for me. I can certainly see I will have my work cut out for me. Being a reformed patient I know it will be a long process. I hadn't realized till now that none of them had any cooking skills. So, just as a precautionary measure I will try to prepare a few meals ahead of time. And watch them closely. I am sure they will be fine.

My funds are getting extremely low,and this worries me. I hadn't realized that I had used up all of my savings And I can not afford a good security system or any fire safety devices .
Tomorrow I will see if i can get a job at the local hospital. Or find some kind of temporary employment . I hope this doesn't hinder us till then.

The Patients:

Jaws



This patient's name is Jaws (this is what he insists that we call him). I really don't know what his real name is. He has been very quiet and rarely talks to anyone .He tends to spend most of the day in bed. He even skips meals.And the grabs a quick bit to eat .


I will have to make sure he shows up at dinner time. He is quite content keeping to himself. I think in time he will adjust to his new home.I refer him as the "Day Dreamer".

CJ


This patient's name is CJ. We have no idea what those initials stand for but, he seems like a nice enough fella. He does seem to take a lot of pleasure playing the piano. He evens stays up all hours of the night playing songs for us. Most of the patients seem to really enjoy it too.It certainly brings a smile to their faces. Which makes me very happy to see them all smile. I just hope he takes the time out to chat with the rest of us.

Daphne

This patient's name is Daphne. I was only given very little information about her . She is a mother of 3 children and that she had been involved in a fire . From the town records I found out the house had burnt down. This all I know about her.

Nitrogen



This patient's name is Nitrogen. He came to live with me after college. He said it had been very stressful for him. I think he managed to graduate a whole year ahead of time with high honors. And he mentioned something about a relationship while he was in college. Her name is Andie. I think he is suffering from a broken heart.

Sonia

This patient's name is Sonia. This patient is a complete mystery to me. I have no information at all. She just wandered in here one day and said she needed a place to live. I will never turn anyone away that wants to stay here. Everyone seems to like her here. She certainly livens up the place. I am looking forward to getting to know her better.

Nancy


The next patient's name is Nancy. She has a very compassionate quality to her. I would really like to get to know her better. Her medical background wasn't available to me when she arrived.
But, from my observations, I think she wants to have a family so desperately . Sometimes , I have even see her carry around an old flour sack baby.

Sissy



This next patient's name is Sissy. I think she has the same problems as Nancy. They take turns carrying around that flour sack baby. I have no idea where it came from.
Both of them had a hard time dealing with the fire that broke out on the first day too. It's a good thing Dr.Kreebles was here to dispense the medication and was available to make a house call on such short notice.

The Fire:


Did I say fire .......Ohhh NO !!! Yes ,I couldn't believe it myself at first.
A fire in the kitchen broke out on the very first meal . I think Daphne felt really bad about and then just broke down crying. I would have comforted her but I don't think she would felt comfortable . Maybe once we are friends.
I hadn't realized that some of them had an intense fear of fire. Even one of the neighbors Miss Kat who stopped by to welcome us to the neighborhood became overwhelmed with fear.
It's a good thing Dr.Kreebles stopped by when he did.
Poor Daphne and Sissy !!


I thought I would have been the only one who had this intense fear to overcome.
As you can see I didn't set a very good example. I think it was me who triggered their emotions even more.......
I am afraid Dr.Kreebles will be making a lot of house calls this week. I for one never thought I would have such a reaction like this. Luckily, no one was injured, this time.

So, far it seems that all of them get along okay. I have seen only a few minor disagreements over who wanted to sleep in what bed. And with only one bathroom available does make it difficult keeping up with proper hygiene . I will have to keep up my mechanical skills up just in case repairs are needed. I can't expect the patients to able to fix the plumbing.


All In all , except for the fire, it has been a good week. I would like to encourage them to take a few day trips to help build up their confidence. I told Dr Kreebles that they need more interactions with the public.
He did however warn me that it may have dire consequences. I think he is over reacting. What could possibly go wrong.
I will have to ponder this idea for awhile. I just hope no one notices that I also need Dr.Kreebles medication. Or that they find out I was a former patient not so long ago.

Till next week....

No comments: